The Student News Site of Lakewood High School

Spartan News Network

Spartan News Network

Spartan News Network

“Orquídeas” Album Review

Kali Uchis bursts back into the scene
Rolling Stone
promotional photo for Kali Uchis’s new album Orquídeas.

Kali Uchis is back with her first full-length album since March 3, 2023. “Orquídeas” climbed the charts in the week since its release reaching the Billboard number 2 hottest album in the United States and there’s no mystery as to why.

As a huge Kali Uchis fan, I was ecstatic when I opened my Spotify to see a notification announcing a new album and it did not disappoint in any way. This album is a banger with great collaborations, lively music, and that classic Kali Uchis appeal. But to me, it wasn’t a perfect ten, let’s break it down.

“Orquídeas” broke into the scene as a kind of surprise but quickly took over because of its wide appeal. Kali Uchis is a Hispanic artist who is prominent in the R&B and hip-hop scenes because of both her amazing solo career and her stunning collaborations with Tyler the creator, so her fan base is widespread, and this album appeals to that perfectly.

“Orquídeas” is mostly in Spanish with some songs in English, all of which are amazing. My favorite song on this album would probably have to be “Heladito” or “Labios mordidos” for two different things.

“Heladito” must be my favorite overall because it’s everything I love about Kali Uchis’s music; her enchanting voice, powerful bass, and smooth jazz-like instrumentals that just transport you into the music. On the other hand, “Labios Mordidos” is a little out of my comfort zone being more of a Latin pop song but despite that, it still ended up being the song I’d skip too repeatedly.

Now on the topic of those two songs that are both amazing but had me split just due to their nature that is my main issue with the album. Usually, I’d have a least favorite song as well, but this album just delivered on so many levels that I can’t choose one.

My issue with the album is overarching and the reason that this album just couldn’t be a ten for me; these songs individually are great, but some just don’t fit with the others. I don’t want to go from a sad song like “Te Mata” straight into the crazy upbeatness of “Munekita” or “Me Pongo Loca” They just don’t all have that synergy where I could listen to the whole album back and forth without skipping. I give “Orquídeas” an 8.9/10 and HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who would be willing to give it a listen.