The Student News Site of Lakewood High School

Spartan News Network

Spartan News Network

Spartan News Network

“Mr. Beat the Road”- An Album Review

“BossMan Dlow’s hit it big”
Mr. Beat the Road promotional material via Apple Music

As many of us know BossMan Dlow, the rapper who put Port Salerno on the map recently released his first mainstream mixtape. But few knew or expected the amount of success this album would garner.

“Mr. Beat the Road” dropped three months after BossMan’s album “2 Slippery” for a hard-hitting album that won him the love and following of many Floridians, it is no surprise that BossMan dropped another album shortly after. The surprise that I referred to before though is the fact that “Mr. Beat the Road” surpassed “Vulture$” for the #1 position on Apple Music’s city charts.

Now, a first glance, this seems like an outrageous statement but after listening to the album, in some forms it makes sense. Creative beats, Audacious lyrics, and smooth flows make this album a great listen for BossMan’s original fans and new listeners alike. “Mr. Beat the Road” popped out with 17 songs but 3 stood out from the rest.

The first notable single is “21”; the intense beat, a coupling of deep bass and otherworldly organ-like synth brings BossMan’s intense and confident lyrics into their best form. Separate from the other tracks on the album I would give “21” a 7.5/10 because the lyrics are pretty like most of the other songs, and it lacks the ingenuity of the other track’s lyrics.

The second single that caught my attention must be “Obama Runtz” an amazing single with a simply hypnotic flow and signature southern drawl, this is the exact type of song that BossMan thrives off. When Wizz Havinn gets on the beat you can tell that these two worked well together as he seamlessly transitions into his verse. This song ended up on all my playlists and overall was an 8.5/10.

The final song that I would like to highlight independently is “Muscle Up” Muscle Up’s almost taunting beat with BossMan’s almost overly confident personality truly accentuates him as a rapper. This single felt like BossMan entirely and was creative with lyrics, beat, and flow. Overall “Muscle Up” is a 9/10 and one of my favorite singles released in quite a while.

Now, the big finale, how was the album overall? Although it is amazing, especially to someone with preferences like me who enjoys rap usually looked at as more drill, I could see some people disliking it. So, for myself and others with similar music tastes, I would give this album a solid 9.8/10. but for others less used to the genre and not as into it I would give it a 6.7/10 the hard lyrics and abrasive beats that I love could also deter others from it, “Mr. Beat the Road” is not a good intro to BossMan but great for fans.

View Comments (1)