The Student News Site of Lakewood High School

Spartan News Network

Spartan News Network

Spartan News Network

College Football Playoffs

Taking a look at the game
Sporting news
Image on how the playoffs might line up

The college football playoffs are and the playoff committee has decided who should be the final four teams. The committee decided that the four teams in order are Michigan, Washington, Texas, and Alabama. Many people were unhappy with the committee’s decision to not put the University of Florida State in the playoffs because they went undefeated, and they are a power five school.

Jordan Travis the quarterback for the Florida State Seminoles was especially frustrated with the situation because they did not make the playoffs just because he had gotten injured.

Travis said that he is “devastated. heartbroken. In so much disbelief. I wish my leg broke earlier in the season so y’all could see this team is much more than the quarterback.” What makes the situation even worse is that this is Travis’s final season as a Seminole because he is set to graduate after the school year.

For the teams in the playoffs, they have earned the spot. On Saturday Dec. 2nd Alabama played against Georgia who at the time had been ranked as the number one team in the country and Alabama ended up winning this game in a tight 27-24 game. Jalen Milroe, quarterback for the Alabama Crimson Tide who was very emotional after the win said that his success is because “before anybody had an opinion on me, I had my purpose already.” For Texas, they have only lost one game throughout the entire season and defeated the Crimson Tide in the regular season, and they defeated Oklahoma state in a blowout this weekend to be able to qualify for the playoffs.

Washington defeated Oregon this weekend to stay undefeated on the season and make it into the playoffs. They defeated Oregon twice this season. Michael Penix, senior quarterback for the Washington Huskies was especially ecstatic after the win because this is his first full season without being injured. Penix said “This team means a lot to me, we put in a lot of hard work.”

As goes for Michigan, they defeated Iowa in the BIG10 championship to secure their spot in the playoffs. This was not an easy victory as Iowa has one of the best defenses in all of college football. The quarterback of the Wolverines, J.J McCarthy was humbled after the game saying that the win is a “testament to my team, testament to my coaches you know I’m nothing without them.”