The Student News Site of Lakewood High School

Spartan News Network

Spartan News Network

Spartan News Network

The upcoming season of the lady Spartans team

Lakewood’s girls’ basketball is ready to make a “slam-dunk” into the new season.
Daija Rogers
Girls’ basketball team huddle around to speak to coach Necole Tunsil during game.

Last year with a season ending record of 15-7, the girls are ready for the 2023-2024 season with two new transfers for the varsity team Savannah Ferguson Riana Callihan Lakewood.

The preseason stats have been showing much improvement for the lady Spartans.

“It’s giving us time to prepare not just for ourselves individually but as a team for the regular season,” senior Alahni Lovett said.

Lovett is a starting guard for the past 2 years who’s averaged the most in scoring as an outside shooter and amazing range from behind the 3pt line.

In the game of basketball, it’s not just a one player sport. Everyone has to communicate with each other and know each other’s strengths and weaknesses. Unlike other teams, Lakewood is getting a head start understanding their players with preseason games and practices. They are playing against teams their level and under and learning from their mistakes individually and as a team.

Many players have skills individually that can help benefit the team. All around there’s many offensive players and defensive players.

“I feel as though I can help my team on both sides, but my defense is way better with my ability to block the defenders and steal the ball,” senior Sumayah McIntosh said. McIntosh plays well on both sides of the court.

With two starting players being out last year from a car crash McIntosh led the team to playoffs with many people doubting them.

They’re ready to see how far they get this season, with high expectations. They have all around shooters, inside scorers and good defensive players.

“I’ve been practicing with the team during summer workouts, and I’ve improved so much,” sophomore varsity player Angelica Williams said.