The Student News Site of Lakewood High School

Spartan News Network

Spartan News Network

Spartan News Network

Meet Star Lakewood Tennis Player Lucas Hicks

Junior+Lucas+Hicks+poses+holding+a+phone+in+the+Lakewood+High+School+studio%2C+on+March+8.++If+watermelons+are+92%25+water%2C+and+I+can+walk+on+watermelons%2C+that+makes+me+92%25+Jesus%2C+Hicks+said.+
Evan Dault | SNN Photographer
Junior Lucas Hicks poses holding a phone in the Lakewood High School studio, on March 8. ” If watermelons are 92% water, and I can walk on watermelons, that makes me 92% Jesus,” Hicks said.

Junior Lucas Hicks, a standout player for the Lakewood tennis team, shared insights into his passion for the sport and the team’s preparation for matches.

Hicks has played tennis for Lakewood High School for two years.

He was drawn to tennis after witnessing a friend’s game. He thought that tennis looked like a lot of fun and decided to play for the team the following year.

His training regimen includes mile runs and agility exercises to maintain top physical condition. He also analyzes opponents’ playstyles during practice rounds to gain an edge over other players during competitive matches.

“[I will] be able to feel out the opponent and get a feel for his playstyle and how the opponent hits the ball,” Hicks said.

Not content with just practice and reviewing opponents, Hicks reviews films of his performances to pinpoint areas for improvement.

When faced with high-pressure situations, Hicks employs deep breathing techniques and finds peace looking into the sky above.

As for the Lakewood team, their approach matches with a rigorous practice schedule “Practice, practice practice,” Lucas said, recognizing that repetition is key to success.

Looking ahead to the 2024 season, Hicks notes the team’s marked improvement over the previous year, setting ambitious goals while acknowledging the inevitable.

“You win some you lose some,” Hicks said.