The Student News Site of Lakewood High School

Spartan News Network

Spartan News Network

Spartan News Network

National Honor Society Welcomes a New Sponsor, Mr. Cortez!

Cortez has big plans for NHS and Lakewood is nothing short of excited.
April Pompey
Mr Cortez helps out a student in his class.

Technology teacher John Cortez is the new National Honor Society sponsor at Lakewood High School.

In previous years Media Center Coordinator Heather Robinson has overseen NHS. Robinson was a wonderful leader of NHS and was very dedicated to her position. Robinson coordinated many popular events at LHS including the Giving Tree and the Hygiene Drive.

Cortez promises to make a positive impact on the club. He wanted to be a part of NHS because he feels that NHS is particularly important for any school and gives a chance for students who are struggling in class to get the tutoring help, they need.

The main challenge for NHS this year is going to be staying organized. This is a new task that Cortez has graciously decided to take on, so there will be room for learning and adjusting.

Cortez has made several sacrifices for the sake of making improvements to NHS, including giving up his lunch and planning periods some days to make sure the NHS officers and himself are all on the same page.

Cortez promises that this year will be different than previous years. He is going to make sure that NHS stays consistently motivated and excited. He will also ensure attendance is up.

“One thing I would tell future NHS members is, do not be afraid to join. We could always use more people and nothing but good can come from joining,” Cortez said.

There is one thing that is for certain regarding NHS. The National Honor Society has always been successful and professionally managed, and Cortez will continue to uphold the integrity of it while also making it a year to remember.