Welcome to these new Spartans

New faculty comes to Lakewood

TREVAUGHN CURRINGTON

Clacci Harmon, the new English 1 Honors teacher, graduated from Florida State University in 2013 and worked at both the elementary and middle school levels before joining Lakewood. Harmon decided to teach English because she enjoys sharing and discussing ideas and concepts relating to the real world. She said she wanted to come to Lakewood, because she is an alumnus. “I am looking forward to the ability to grow with students that I have taught previously and create new and enjoyable experiences with students that I teach,” Harmon said. “My number one goal is to provide a safe and comfortable environment to students while teaching them all that I know.” In addition to teaching, Harmon is interested in learning digital marketing strategies, as well as bringing up two twin 5-year-old boys. – SNN Staff Writer JACK LAND from Florida State University in 2013 and worked at both the elementary and middle school levels before joining Lakewood. Harmon decided to teach English because she enjoys sharing and discussing ideas and concepts relating to the real world. She said she wanted to come to Lakewood, because she is an alumnus. “I am looking forward to the ability to grow with students that I have taught previously and create new and enjoyable experiences with students that I teach,” Harmon said. “My number one goal is to provide a safe and comfortable environment to students while teaching them all that I know.” In addition to teaching, Harmon is interested in learning digital marketing strategies, as well as bringing up two twin 5-year-old boys.

Support teacher Suzanne Tredo is a new staff member at Lakewood High School. She helps kids on a one-on-one basis in geometry, algebra and English. “I go where I’m needed,” Tredo said. She also works as a personal tutor to help parents of children with developmental delays. Specifically, she teaches parents how to work with their children. Tredo graduated from El Mira College with her bachelor’s in 1989 and from Long Island University in 1992 with her master’s degree. She wanted to become a teacher because she believes that every person is unique, and she wants to help students find their path in life. On her off time she likes to go to church, bible study and Disney World in Orlando. Tredo has two boys,Jack, 15, and Jimmy, 12, and a husband, John Tredo. – SNN Staff Writer TULEE THOMAS

New history teacher James Jackson graduated from South Carolina State where he majored in U.S history. He grew up in St. Petersburg and attended Dixie Hollins High School, now called Hollins High School. Jackson started teaching at Azalea Middle School in 2010, and stayed for three years. In 2013, he decided to teach on a higher level at Oak Grove High School. He taught there from 2013 to 2020. At the beginning of this year Jackson took the job at Lakewood High School for 2020-2021 school year. He wanted to teach here because he lives nearby. “I’m loving Lakewood… LOVING IT,” Jackson said. – SNN Staff Writer JONYEISHA THOMAS

Lakewood’s new chemistry teacher Elisa Sasserath is a Lakewood alumnus, teaching in the same room where she was taught. “It’s such a fun subject,” she said, “and I wanted to help others experience it.” Sasserath graduated from Ave Maria University in 2017 with a degree in physics and math. Her favorite subject in high school was chemistry. She said she chose Lakewood as the place to teach since she graduated from the Center for Advanced Technologies program back in 2013. Her goal for this year is to get all of her students more interested in chemistry and wanting to learn more. This is her first year teaching and she said she already loves it. She thinks staff is very friendly and students are attentive. In her spare time she loves training her puppy to be a therapy dog, trying new things with friends and family and exploring St. Petersburg. – SNN Staff Writer GISELLE GALSTON

Jennifer Daniels, who teaches economics, financial literacy and U.S. government, graduated from the University of South Florida St. Petersburg in 2010. Before she came to Lakewood, Daniels taught at Pinellas Park Middle School. “It’s a change of experience coming from middle school to high school,” Daniels said. Teaching wasn’t her first goal; she took a job as a paraprofessional in 2000 and fell in love with helping students. “There is no better feeling than seeing the lightbulb come on when a student understands a concept they struggle with,” Daniels said. She is married and has a grown daughter. “My first grandchild will be a year old (soon) and I’m so excited,” she said. In her free time, she likes to do home remodeling. She also likes kayaking and traveling. Teaching during a pandemic has been one of her challenges this year, she said. “COVID has affected everyone teaching … because we have to find a new way to engage with our students and create a bond with them but stay safe,” Daniels said. A goal for her this year, she said, is to “engage with my students to help them reach their full potential.” – SNN Staff Writer NEPHE ELLIS

Sandra Bourne is the new 2D-Digital Art design teacher. Bourne, who replaced art teacher Larry West who retired, went to Savannah College of Art and Design in Atlanta and received her master’s degree in fine arts from the University of South Florida in Tampa. Bourne, who has been an artist for most of her life, started teaching after graduate school at International Academy of Design and Technology. “I loved it. I fell in love with teaching there,” Bourne said. She taught there for about 16 years until the private school closed. During her time there, her college students did a lot of digital work, which led her to become a digital design teacher. Before Lakewood she taught for the last four years at John Hopkins Middle School, working with the art magnet students. “I’m used to teaching college kids, so I wanted to teach high school kids,” Bourne said. At Lakewood Bourne is hoping to get her students’ work into county exhibitions. During her free time she hangs out with her dog and paints at home. She has a daughter in the seventh grade who attends Sanderlin in the IB program.. – SNN Staff Writer JA’SHANNA LYONS

Allison Biloski, who graduated from the University of Memphis in 2010, is Lakewood’s new behavior specialist. “I like to help kids when they’re frustrated,” Biloski said. She said she chose to be a behavior specialist because she wants to help get kids get back on track. She came to Lakewood from Fairmount Park Elementary, because she wanted to start working with older kids. At Lakewood her goal is to get to know the students better and help as many kids as she can. In her free time, she plays the cello, hangs out with family and friends and loves to go the beach. Biloski also travels and the farthest she’s gone was China where she studied for college. “It was a cool experience,” Biloski said. – SNN Staff Writer JA’SHANNA LYONS
Melinda Hess is a new Algebra 1 and geometry teacher at Lakewood High School. She said she is looking forward to getting to know the students better and hopes to be more involved in school activities. “I don’t expect everyone to love math but to know it is helpful,” she said. Hess graduated from the University of South Florida twice. She received her bachelor’s degree in 1986 and her doctoral degree in 2003. Hess taught in Pasco County at Wesley Chapel High, at the University of South Florida and at Gallaudet University, a school for deaf children. Hess also spent some time in the Air Force. When she moved back to Florida this year, she learned that Lakewood had openings and she met with principal Savage. Hess said the school seemed like a good fit and Savage offered her the job. “Students are number one, they come first,” Hess said. Hess has a brother, a nephew, a niece and a cat. She said she loves the outdoors, books and music. – SNN Staff Writer MAKAYLA JOHNSON
New staffer Melia Garcia teaches honors and Advanced Placement world history. She, who is originally from Scranton, Pa., transferred here from Meadowlawn Middle School where she taught U.S. history. She said she likes her new co-workers as well as Lakewood’s school spirit. “I like the atmosphere and the student body of the school. It’s very student driven, an athletic power-house, and (the kids are) respectful,” she said. Garcia graduated and got her teaching degree from the University of Central Florida. Garcia said she loves to travel and work out. She and her family own a business in St. Petersburg called the Merchant and the Crislip Cafe, which she calls a “funky urban gift shop.” – SNN Staff Writer JA’SHANNA LYONS