The Student News Site of Lakewood High School

Spartan News Network

Spartan News Network

Spartan News Network

Dual Enrollment: Insight on how to get ahead in life

Lakewood students are encouraged to sign up for dual enrollment.

Can you graduate Lakewood High School with both a diploma and a college degree?

Yes, you can.

Officials from Pinellas Technical College visited Lakewood recently to talk with students at the school’s curriculum fair about dual enrollment, the program that allows scholars to earn a career technical certificate.

Chris Blackwell, a recruiter for PTC, said dual enrollment for high school students has many perks that can expand their learning and college experience.

One favorite program is HVAC/Refrigeration certification, Blackwell said.

“It’s not a two-year program,” he said. “It’s that type of program that trains students for work. There are different job opportunities, companies and jobs will call us often and seek for employment from our students. The programs are less than a year, it’s seven months.”

PTC offers corporate training programs, and apprenticeships in 11 different specialties. They have around 15+ programs at both the Clearwater and St. Petersburg campuses.

So, what is dual enrollment and why is it important? In the United States, dual enrollment enables high school students to take college courses for one semester, often for free. These courses are taught by college professors at the location of their high school.

Dual enrollment gives students a head start for their future, Blackwell said.

“Students should sign up for dual enrollment because they will gain skills in life. From learning a trade to plumbing… Even if it’s culinary, in life it will help students be able to perform that skill naturally.”