ALMA program commemorates new fitness center

After years of planning, progress and construction, the brand-new ALMA room is finally open for business.

BELLA CROTEAU | SNN

At center Lakewood alumna Diamond Brown cuts the ribbon for the new ALMA fitness center in room 406 on Aug. 8. She is flanked by representatives for Valor Fitness and Johns Hopkins, partners of the ALMA program.

BELLA CROTEAU, SNN Staff Writer

Students, alumni, teachers and program partners gathered in room 406 on Monday (Aug. 8) for a ribbon-cutting ceremony of Athletic Lifestyle Management Academy’s (ALMA) new fitness center. After roughly two years of preparation and construction, the ALMA fitness center is finished and the program unveiled their new equipment.

The space was previously the classroom for the Aquatic Management Systems and Environmental Technology (AMSET) program. Now the room houses a workout rig with multiple exercise spaces, weightlifting gear, pull-up bars and more supplied by Valor Fitness. Valor Fitness, along with Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital are two of ALMA’s partners.

There were several speeches before the ceremony from 2022 alumna Diamond Brown, ALMA teachers Erika Miller and Phillip Muszynski and president of Valor Fitness Jim Vanderbleek.

“If you went into our old weightlifting room, we didn’t even have a full set of dumbbells. Now we have even more than we could’ve imagined,” ALMA teacher Muszynski said.