2 CJAM students win journalism scholarships

The announcement came at the program’s end-of-year awards ceremony, this year held in the media center.

Students cheered and laughed together as they enjoyed the annual Center for Journalism and Multimedia ceremony held on May 13 in the media center of Lakewood High School.

Every year, CJAM holds a ceremony to honor the students and what they have accomplished in the school year. Usually the awards ceremony would be a banquet at the University of South Florida, but with COVID-19, that was out of the question.

Nonetheless, journalism teachers Jade Shiver and Kathleen Tobin were able to put something together. The ceremony included Quill &Scroll inductions and the announcements of scholarship winners and the new editors for next year.  About 25 students were invited to the ceremony in person, and other guests joined in virtually through Teams.

There were two different types of awards given out at the ceremony: teacher-created awards and awards from the Florida Scholastic Press Association. About 40 teacher awards were given at the ceremony and about 10 FSPA awards were given. There were two plaques handed out specially to students junior Jay Sanders, editor-in-chief of Alpha-Omega, and senior Rohey Barrow, editor-in-chief of SNN.

Five students were inducted into Quill &Scroll, the international honor society for journalism students: Barrow, junior Maya Rish, sophomore Mars Raiford, junior Emma Collins and senior Leah Broadnax.

Broadnax and Barrow were awarded the Cynda Mort Scholarship, $2,000 each, and Barrow also won the $500 Peggy Peterman Book Scholarship. Both scholarships are journalism centered and named after local journalists. The Cynda Mort Scholarship was named after the founder of the journalism program, and the check was presented to the students by the husband of Cynda Mort, Kevin Mort. The Peggy Peterman award was presented by her son, Frank Peterman.

Twelve students were selected for editor positions:

SNN
Maya Rish: Editor-in-chief  and Social Media Editor
Emma Collins: Photo Editor
Gabby Goodleigh: Chief Sports Photographer
Luka Oldani: Opinion Editor and Breaking News Team
Giselle Galston: Feature/Projects Editor
Nate Sosa: Sports Editor
Atticus Huffstutler: Assistant Sport Editor and Breaking News Team
Moe Gould: Web Editor
Jay Sanders: Social Media Editor
Addy Sylvester: Breaking News Team
Bella Croteau: Copy Editor