The Student News Site of Lakewood High School

Spartan News Network

Spartan News Network

Spartan News Network

LHS Poetry Slam was a Smash Hit!

The LHS Poetry Slam took place in the theater outside in between A-wing and B-wing, and it was filled to the brim with participants and onlookers eager to see what students had to say.
Imari+Payton+announces+the+next+poet+for+the+slam+poetry+event+on+Sept.+29+between+A+and+B+wing.+The+Slam+Society+hosted+by+Elizabeth+Halsted+had+poets+who+write+about+the+many+roads+to+success.+
Elijah Sellers
Imari Payton announces the next poet for the slam poetry event on Sept. 29 between A and B wing. The Slam Society hosted by Elizabeth Halsted had poets who write about the many roads to success.

This poetry event gave each student a opportunity to highlight their talents. Every person that decided to participate gave their own individual and unique interpretation of what poetry can be.

There were some traditional displays of poetry including a poem titled “Love is a Teenage Girl” which described the connection between the characteristics of love compared to the actions of a typical teenage girl. The comparison of the two gave validation to the intensity of emotions that young people feel when dealing with their first love.

Another student had a more modern approach to poetry. She hopped on stage ready to show the audience what she offered in a unique way, through song. Her beautiful rap had mesmerizing rhymes while also having a deep message of success and overcoming adversity.

Of course, there was a touch of Lakewood style incorporated. There was a rap battle between two students causing the crowd to go wild in enthusiasm. The combination of lyrical rhymes and strong beats created an audience wired with anticipation and passion.

Although there were some poems that evoked more feeling and emotion. For example, Chanel Williams, the founder of Slam Poetry, gave a heartfelt poem on what it feels like to become a senior while also staying connected with your younger self. She described how graduating from high school is not the end of your youth, it is in some ways a beginning.

There is one thing that is common within every performance, that it was an outstanding demonstration of each of their talents and each form of poetry. There were so many unique displays of art that every person that attended could connect with it in some type of way.