The Student News Site of Lakewood High School

Spartan News Network

Spartan News Network

Spartan News Network

Lakewood’s New Assistant Principal Mr. Retsos

Peter Retsos oversees science and athletics at Lakewood High School and works hard to build student engagement in academics.
David Larkins |SNN
Assignment Principal and Director of Athletics Peter Retsos talks to a student on Aug.24 at Lakewood High School “I’m very excited because I oversee my favorite subject science and all athletics. It allows me to continue my research in the latest scientific studies which I am passionate about,” Retsos said.

Let’s welcome the new Assistant Principal Peter Retsos to Lakewood High School!

Retsos received his education from Depaul University and later went on to the University of Northern Iowa for his master’s degree.

Retsos first started his career off in the Chicago Public Schools System as a History and Advanced Placement teacher while also coaching the varsity baseball and basketball team.

As the years went on Retsos became an Assistant Principal in the Chicago Public Schools system and worked his way up in different school districts. This is Retsos fifth school district and 11th year being an administrator.

“I was very excited because I knew there was an opening at this position. I drove by the school and looked up the school demographics and the history and knew it would be a good fit for me with my passion for science and sports,” Retsos said.

Retsos and the administration team this year are heavily focusing on culture and student-centered academics.

As for embedding culture at Lakewood High School the administration team is heavily enforcing VIBE. VIBE stands for Values, Intentional, Be present, and Excellence.

The administration studied the latest research on what makes a school successful and found that student centered academics are beneficial for students.

They are using a foundation where students are using a lot of academic language while working in groups. This approach will help students increase their retention rate by participating with their friends and a better understanding since students learn easier through different approaches.

In addition to student-centered academics Retsos looks forward to implementing a student athletic plan for all student athletes. With this student athletic plan Retsos wants to give students the ability to play at a college level by building connections with universities to get them scholarships.