Senior activities planned but uncertain

As graduation approaches, the county and schools are planning senior activities that are pending CDC recommendations.

ESSEX POTTS

Class of 2020 seniors, above, decked out in red, gather in the main hallway during last year’s Class Color Day

LEAH BROADNAX, MAYA RISH AND EMMA COLLINS, SNN Staff Writers

Senior activities have been on-again, off-again since the year started. Prom was on; now it’s cancelled. Grad Bash was scheduled, only to be called off. The good news: Spirit Week is a go. Postponed from the fall, Spirit Week is now set for March 8-12. Monday is Character Day, Tuesday is Career Day, Wednesday is the Clash of the Colors, Thursday is Back to the ‘80s, and Friday is Black and Gold Day. On Clash of the Colors Day, freshmen wear yellow, sophomores wear blue, juniors wear green, seniors wear red, and faculty wear purple. Also, each grade level has been assigned a hallway to decorate in their colors. The seniors have the Hub area and courtyard, the juniors have A-wing downstairs, the sophomores have B-wing downstairs and the freshman have C wing downstairs. Whoever shows the most spirit in the week’s activities and meets requirements for GPA and discipline can run for Mr. and Ms. Black and Gold and the winners will be announced Friday during second and third block. The Pinellas County dress code will be enforced during this week, senior class sponsor Chantella Moore said. In addition to Spirit Week, Senior Week has been confirmed as well as graduation. Senior Week, which normally includes a movie on the lawn, cap and gown fitting, ice cream social and a breakfast, is scheduled for April 19-23. The dates for the graduation ceremony have been confirmed for June 3 at 1 p.m. at Tropicana Field. Graduation is the top priority for the administration and masks will be required. “We plan the calendar as though we’re going to have it. Then we wait; that’s the hard part,” principal Erin Savage said. Savage and Moore said everything is dependent on the CDC guidelines and Department of Health. “Everything we’re doing is in the name of safety. I don’t want to be the person responsible for a student getting sick,” Moore said. Seniors learned in late February that prom would be canceled, a decision made by the school district. “I don’t really agree with it, but with what’s been going on, I understand why people chose it,” said junior Diamond Brown, who was helping to organize the event. “To be honest, I had no idea. It’s kind of sad because it’s senior year, but I expected it,” senior Erin Singh said. Seniors had to complete a form and submit a request for their diplomas by Jan. 29. The official Lakewood cap and gown must be worn during the ceremony. The order form is electronic and can be found in the Senior Teams Group. Seniors also should be getting their senior fees paid. This year they are $120. Bookkeeper Natalie Bostic said seniors can pay their fees on the Lakewood High School website with a credit card. The fees go toward senior activities, including payment to Tropicana Field, caps,= gowns and tassels, senior week activities and diplomas. If students need to set up a payment plan, they should see Moore. Senior Robert Hopkins said he is hoping all these events will actually happen. “Watching upperclassmen as freshmen and sophomores and even juniors made everything look so fun, and it sucks not getting that light at the end of the tunnel, (a) reward for making it through hell,” he said.

Lakewood graduate Jo
Shauntye Thomas, left, fist
bumPs history teacher
Brandon Vaughan as she is
driven through the Lakewood
cap and gown distribution in
May of 2020. (SPECIAL TO SNN)