The Student News Site of Lakewood High School

Spartan News Network

Spartan News Network

Spartan News Network

Siena Van-Beynen is the goalie of the girls’ soccer team at Lakewood High School.

Scores, saves, and strikes happen all because of her.
JOEL BURNSED| SNN Photographer
Senior Siena Van-Beyen standing with her mother after being told she was Salutatorian Wednesday, Mar. 27.

WednesdaySenior Siena Van-Beynen is the girls’ varsity soccer keeper and goalie at Lakewood High School. Van-Beynen loves to play soccer; she has been playing ever since she was 7 years old. She loves being a part of a team and getting better at the sport that she loves. She has stuck with it ever since.

Van-Beynen decided to be keeper and goalie because she was the only one willing to get soccer balls to be kicked at her, before, her position was a center back. She likes goalie more than center-back. She likes to be involved in every play of the game.

She has been playing soccer for Lakewood ever since her freshman year. Even though she played all four years of high school, her favorite year was either sophomore or senior year. She loves it so much. She loves the coach, the team, and everything about playing for Lakewood soccer.

She specifically remembers the game vs Boca Ciega High School in her junior year because that was the game that they were down and ended up winning in penalties.

She feels that she is brave, hardworking, and good at communication, those are the skills she sees as strengths that make her a great athlete on the field. Many of the times that she plays, she makes amazing blocks, saves, and much more!

“The team keeps good spirit, they are good at not giving up, and everyone is willing to learn and improve,” Van-Beynen said. She also thinks that the team’s weaknesses are field communication and technical skills.

The thing she loves about the Lakewood girls’ soccer team is watching the team improve and work together. The thing she dislikes about the Lakewood girls’ soccer team is losing games, but she understands that it is part of the process of playing a sport.

She thinks that she will possibly play soccer in college because she feels she needs to focus on school and the recruiting process so much that she might not. She wants to be a great scholar as well as a great athlete, even if that means letting go of some things that she loves.