The football season wrap-up

A summary of the 2022-2023 varsity boys’ football season.

Special to SNN

Senior Tra’quan Johnson runs across the field during a game in the 2022-2023 season.

JONNIE WHELAN, SNN Staff Writer

The Spartan varsity football team concluded the regular season with a record of 6-4, going into playoffs. Their first playoff game they blew out Clearwater High School by a score of 42-13. They then went on to win a close game to Tampa Catholic High School 44-41. Then they defeated Calvary Christian 63-42, heading to the state semifinals against Central High in Miami. They played a difficult game and fought to the very end, there season concluded in 39-21 loss to Central.

“We could have gone on farther in playoffs if we played more as a team, there were people who cared more about themselves then the team as a whole,” Senior Isaiah Nixon said.

A upside to the season was that they did not lose a single game to a Pinellas County team. The only games they lost were to teams from different counties. The Spartans still run Pinellas County.

“At the beginning of the season they played as individuals, then they realized they needed to play as a team to win games,” Offensive Line Coach Melia Garcia said.

The season was not a total loss, the team has had numerous players committing and signing to D1 teams. Others still not decided where to take their talents but have numerous D1 offers.

“I’m proud of how we overcame adversity, and we were able to achieve different accomplishments throughout the season, just wish it ended differently,” Senior Amare Garrett said.

The Spartans will look to continue their winning ways next season even after losing a lot of guys, they will need to work hard to keep it up.