Lakewood High School Senior Cora Ross Wins Top Honor at Gasparilla Art Festival

Lakewood High School Senior Cora Ross wins the top honor for the Gasparilla Art Festival for her amazing portrait, “She’s Like a Rainbow.”
Cora Ross poses with her artwork along with Art Teacher Adam Turkel and Gasparilla Art Festival Coordinator Cindy German.
Rashannon Youngblood

In addition to winning the award, Ross also won $7,000 and the Lakewood Art Department $2,000. Ross has won multiple awards for this same artwork, including the Gold Key Scholastics and it was shown at the African American Youth Artwork Expo.  

The Gasparilla Art Festival is the most premiere outdoor art festival in the United States, that usually gives out $100,000 in total to the recipients. Our very own LHS student beat thousands of students in the county to win this award, that shows just how amazing the art is.  

Ross is very active in the Arts at Lakewood. She is currently enrolled in two art classes and tries to spend every free moment she has in the art room. She is also well known for her amazing poetry, performed at the Lakewood Slam Poetry event. She said that her poetry inspires her art.  

When Ross was asked about what she would like to do in the future she stated, “I want to be a fashion designer or interior designer. I just always want to continue to make art.”  

One of Ross’ motivators is the LHS art teacher Adam Turkel. Ross said one of the main reasons she submitted her artwork was because of Turkel, because he knew it was award-worthy.  

“Her (Ross) artwork is beautiful and colorful. It really shows her personality.” Turkel said about Ross’ art piece.  

Ross was awarded $1,000 on March 28 in the Art room at LHS. Assistant Principal Dennis Russo was in attendance, as well as Cindy German, who works for the Gasparilla Festival of the Arts and oversees the Young Artist Expo. This is an honor for the art department and the entire Lakewood High School campus.  

The Art Department of LHS knows how important it is for students to be able to showcase their artwork, so they have organized an artwork display just for LHS students. Any Lakewood student can submit their artwork and have it displayed for anyone to see. The show will take place on Saturday, May 11h, at 400 23rd St S St. Petersburg.