The Student News Site of Lakewood High School

Spartan News Network

Spartan News Network

Spartan News Network

The Future of Overwatch 2

Blizzard’s Oaths; What Does the Game Promise?
Xbox Wire
Promotional advertisement for Overwatch 2.

The 2023 Blizzcon in November revealed quite a bit about Overwatch 2 and what is planned for it. However, as the season ends in under two weeks, many have been wondering what the next update holds for the game. A new hero? A new map? New balance changes, or a new game mode?  

Firstly, there will be no new heroes in the next season, as just this season we received Mauga. However, the following season will contain Venture, a damaged hero revealed at Blizzcon 2023 that utilizes techniques to dig beneath the ground and ambush enemies. As for this coming update, many would expect balance changes and a new flashpoint map – as flashpoint’s game mode currently has the least number of maps. But another possibility is a new game mode. 

Clash is a game mode teased at Blizzcon 2023, and it involves five capture points set in a straight line. The game ends when one team captures all five. A similar mode was implemented by Valve’s class-based shooter, Team Fortress 2. That game mode worked extremely well and is one of the fan-favorites among the community. One would only assume it’d be the same case with Overwatch, unlike modes such as Push. Clash features a map named Hanaoka, which is a Japanese-style map with cherry blossoms like Hanamura.  

In the far future, two seasons from the release of Venture, there will be another new hero named Space Ranger. Very little is known, apart from design. As there were just hero mastery courses released as well, it is unlikely more will be released upon the next update. However, there have been leaks from trusted sources that all hero health pools will be increased by 50, and projectiles will be heavily reworked to increase effectiveness and hit detection. From this, we can conclude that one-hit K.O.s will be eliminated from Overwatch 2 (aside from ultimate abilities) which is an excellent sign. 

Many have been skeptical of the future of Overwatch now that Microsoft has purchased Activision-Blizzard. Will the game be left in the dust much like another game purchased by Microsoft, Minecraft? Or will Overwatch thrive under this new management and perform better than ever?