The Student News Site of Lakewood High School

Spartan News Network

Spartan News Network

Spartan News Network

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is Truly a Marvelous Show

The Marvelous Mrs. Masiel Challenges Gender Norms and Gets Its Viewers to Think
Photo of Midge Maisel
Amazon
Photo of Midge Maisel

The Amazon Prime original drama aired its last episode on May 26. Running a seamless five seasons, this comedy- drama challenges gender norms in a comedic way.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is an Amazon Prime original created by Amy Sherman-Palladino, which is also the creator of the iconic show Gilmore Girls.

It’s set in the late 1950’s where main character Miriam better known as Midge Maisel becomes a female comedian after her husband leaves her for his secretary. Which is a funny cliché especially because of the period the show is set in.

She unexpectedly turns to comedy and uses all the inconveniences in her life as “bits” for her acts as the only way she can decompress from all the stresses in her life. Partnered with her stand-offish manager Susie Myers the pair become unstoppable.

This show is special because it challenges gender norms now and in the period it is set, but in a funny way which makes it easy for everyone to understands the struggles women face, especially in show business.

There are so many loveable characters in the show. Her kooky parents Abe and Rose Weissman bring a light humor to the show, and the character progression of these two was so well done. It was very wholesome to see her parents begin to support and understand her as the series progressed.

It was also nice to see a historical comedian from the 50’s be represented in the show such as Lenny Bruce who is a real-life comedic legend. He mentors Midge on her journey to become the best comic.

Not only does the show challenge gender norms but it also has a heavy emphasis on the importance of friends and family and teaches its viewers to cherish every relationship.

The Marvelous Mrs. Masiel is guaranteed to make anyone who watches it laugh out loud (or cry) and is the perfect binge-worthy show for Christmas Break!

View Comments (2)