Achieving awards with a 3.0 and up

87 students from Lakewood received a reward for their high GPA.

XAVIER DRAKE | SNN

Sophomore Judah Merck stands outside the gym on April 24. He won the Mack J. Williams award for his good grades. “I felt accomplished and special when my hard work was recognized,” Merck said.

JANIAH BOGAN, SNN Staff Writer

The Dr. Mack J Williams Academic Excellences program awarded 600 Pinellas County students for their high GPAs averaging over 3.0 in late February.

These students were recognized at an event held by St. Pete College at the downtown Palladium Theater.

Out of the 600 students being recognized from schools in Pinellas County, 87 students were from Lakewood High School. Those students included sophomores Jalisa Thomas, Devin Walls, Judah Merck and Mikal Morris.

Thomas has a cumulative GPA of 3.3 with a goal of making all As. She wants to accomplish that goal in a couple of months by completing and turning her work in on time.

“I feel normal, because I’ve made goods grades all year and being a part of a ceremony didn’t change my life,” Thomas said.

Walls has a cumulative GPA of 3.8 with a goal of achieving a 4.0. He wants to complete this at the end of junior year by keeping all As.

“I feel normal, because I didn’t receive a scholarship,” said Walls, referring to the scholarship that was given to seniors who were recognized.

Merck has a cumulative GPA of 3.8 as well not having a goal set for academics.

Morris has a cumulative GPA of a 3.7 with an academic goal of graduating with a 4.0. Completing this goal by taking AP classes to boot his GPA in the period of becoming a senior.

“I really don’t feel any type of way receiving the award because it’s normal of me to receive,” said Morris.