FBLA members heading to state conference

The group is traveling to Orlando over Spring Break for the state leadership conference and competitions.

MAKHI MILLS

FBLA sponsor Chris Borg speaks to club members during a conference-planning meeting in T-wing on Feb. 24.

MAKHI MILLS and RYLEIGH RUSSO

The Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) are preparing for their upcoming state leadership conference in Orlando from March 11-14. FBLA sponsor Chris Borg said he is very excited for this Orlando trip, and he wants to see his students do well in their events.

“I’m looking forward to seeing how they do,” he said.

Freshman and FBLA officer Jeremiah Eustache is also looking forward to this trip.

“I’ve been in FBLA since middle school, and I really like the business experience that comes out of the club,” he said

Eustache said he feels confident going into the competition.

“I’m doing Intro to FBLA for my event, because I’ve been doing it since the seventh grade now and I’m familiar with that event,” he said

Freshman Lucas Hicks, on the other hand, has less experience than some of the other FBLA members but he is having a good time being part of the group.

“This is my first year being a member of this club, but I really enjoyed that it gave me a good opportunity to learn business and hang out with my friends,” he said.

When asked what event he chose to compete in, Hicks provided an unexpected response.

“I’m doing Excel spreadsheet because I knew it was a tough event and no one else was doing it so I would automatically get to states,” he said.

About 50 students are  heading to the state conference. The cost is $400 and the club members will be staying at the Hilton Hotel. If they perform well enough, some students will qualify for nationals in Chicago this summer.